Weekly PRE-K Newsletter
This is where I will post any other news that is specific to our class.
Pre-Kindergarten Curriculum Goals
- To develop the dignity, self esteem and appropriate behavior in each child.
- To promote a sense of Greek Community and the community at large.
- To offer a nurturing environment that encourages exploration and risk taking.
- To facilitate learning through hands on projects and use of our five senses.
- To create a love for reading by surrounding children with a wealth of literature.
- To promote interacting with one another and cooperative learning.
- To promote the value of community helpers and a sense of career awareness in their growth.
I Academic Goals
- Recognition & Writing of upper and lower case letters.
- Math – Numbers (recognition, sequencing, quantity, sorting/sizes).
- Colors – Primary Colors and mixing them to get the other colors.
- Match and Identify words or objects with the same initial sound.
- Major Holidays
- Reading and Comprehension of story through use of questions- when, why, who, what, how) predicting outcome, cause and effect and picture books.
- Incorporation of listening skills and following directions in all areas.
- Expand vocabulary through interactions with literature, daily language activities and hands on experiences
II Artistic Goals
- Self-expression through free-painting, coloring, molding with play-doh, etc.
- Use of variety of materials and textures to promote exploration, feeling, texture, etc.
III Socialization Goals
- Free play using age appropriate educational games and toys.
- Promoting co-operative play (sharing and teamwork)
- Building self-esteem.
- Responsibility and independence.
- Discovery of feelings and verbal expression.
- Promoting respect, kindness, and honesty
IV Development of Gross and Fine Motor Skills
- Gross – jumping, skipping, hopping, bean bag/ball tossing, e.t.c.
- Fine – cutting, pasting, coloring, manipulating small objects, e.t.c.
- Handle scissors, crayons, or other written implements at age appropriate level
- Distinguish between right and left.
- Hands on activities and experiments. (Ex: What floats, what sinks?)
- Growing from seeds
- Learn about weather, seasons, plants, animals, magnetism, senses, hygiene, nutrition, and the environment.
VI Music and Movement Incorporated Throughout Daily Routine.
- Using our body to create music.
- Rhyme – Poetry, Nursery Rhymes.
- Following directions to music
VII Community Awareness
- Learn the basic elements of a community; citizen, helpers, neighborhood, etc.
- Bringing in community helpers for actual hands on illustrations such as:
- Doctor, Nurse, others.
- Physical Education
- Greek Dance
- Greek Language
IX Annual Events
(Performance dates can be found on the yearly school calendar)
- Fall Festival (November)
- Art Exhibit (April)
- End of the year Stepping Up Ceremony (June)
Students will receive progress reports in January and June